Our whole group: Rachel, Colleen, Jose, Emmy, Isaias and me :)
So last week was Semana Santa (spring break) for us and I went to Utila, Honduras which is an island about an hour by ferry off the coast. There were 6 people in our group...Jose, Colleen, Rachel, Emmy and Isaias. It was a fun group and we were heading out for the week. We decided that instead of renting a car and trying to navigate the way there ourselves, we could rent a van w/ driver that could take us there. So we left at 330am Saturday morning because the driver was going round trip and needed time to get back. So we packed our bags, got in the van and took off. It was a 10hour drive to La Ceiba which is where the ferry leaves from. We got there in time for the ferry, took the ferry and got to the island around 6pm. There were people there to greet us and show us to our house. Our house was amazing. 2 bedrooms, 1 loft and a huge kitchen and living area. One of the best parts was the deck looking out at the ocean and also the gazebo right down by the water.
This was the backside of our house. The ocean is behind in this picture so our house looked right out at the ocean.....AMAZING!
We spent the week relaxing at our house, playing cards, listening to the waves crashing, and hanging around. I went snorkeling one day and kayaking another. There are no cars on the island mostly just motos and golf carts. We rented bikes and walked or biked everywhere. It was a nice change of pace. It was amazing to wake up every morning to the sunrise and listening to the waves crashing all night, I couldn't believe it. I really felt like I was in a dream well week. I mean these are the vacations that people dream about....beaches, clear blue water, house right on the ocean and I was living it!
Rachel and I on the boat taking a break from snorkeling.
I can't really pick a favorite part because it was all so great! It was something that I will not forget for the rest of my life! The downtown was pretty small and there wasn't a lot to do but we just wanted to hang out anyways. We spent most evenings making dinner at our house and talking or playing games. The 6 of us got along pretty well for the most part. It was a lot of together time but I was pleasantly surprised how well things went. I felt like it was also the perfect amount of time. Just enough. When it came time to leave I was feeling ready to come back to reality, well, my reality :) We left early Saturday morning and got back late Saturday night. It was nice then because we still had Sunday and Monday to get organized and ready for the week. I colored eggs on Easter with a bunch of friends using the Egg coloring kit my mom had sent. It's hard to find white eggs here so we colored brown ones, it still worked just fine. Jose, Rachel and I cooked dinner at night so had a lovely Easter meal of ham, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs (after an egg fight) and a broccoli salad-delicious!
Jose, Rachel and I cooking Easter dinner.
After the wonderful week, it was back to work this week and things were very busy. I've starting tutoring two 4th grade students now so I'm busy after school Tuesday-Thursday but it's nice to have a little extra money too. I only have 6 weeks of school left! I'll be home so soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment