So I have been slacking, yes I know. Nothing TOO exciting has happened recently. Life is just flying by but I am SO happy and things are going very well. The last few weeks have been great. At school, class has been going wonderfully and I'm just loving it. Only 9 weeks left of school, how crazy is that? I'm going to miss these kids so much and I can't believe they are going to be in 6th grade next year! I've had some interesting times in school recently though. In English class at school, we teach about American History. They get Salvadorian history in Spanish. It's been challenging to teach it because they have ZERO background knowledge on it. Right now, we have been talking about the 13 original colonies and when and where they were founded. To tell these kids....Massachusetts was founded here, Georgia was here means nothing to them. They are familiar with the names of the states but have no idea where they are located. Florida is the only one they know because of Miami and Orlando because of the vacations that they take there. It's been a good challenge and very eye opening for me, it's been fun.
Outside of school I've been trying to save money and haven't been doing much on the weekends. I'm going on a big spring break trip with some other people from the complejo. We are going to Utila, Honduras. It's an island just off the coast. Roatan is the more famous one but Semana Santa is going to be such a busy week at all of the touristy places so we decided to go to one that would be a little less wild. I'm excited, I've heard it's beautiful! So on the weekends I've been just hanging around with other friends here mostly which has been nice. I've become such good friends with so many people here that its nice to just catch up with them on the weekends. I've realized also how NOT-emotional I am. Sometimes I feel like I am the go-to person for everyone's emotions just because I can sit and listen :) For some reason, people have been having lots of emotional things happen recently so I've felt like a counselor at times. I'm not so good at expressing my own emotions or talking about things myself but I'm really good at listening to other peoples.
This next week should be pretty normal. I'm down 4 kids because now our kids are off to Virginia for the Exchange program. That means I will only have 18 this week but too bad it's all of my best students that left. Well I hope things are going well for everyone at home and the weather starts to warm up a bit, I've heard it's still pretty chilly. I'm available to skype anytime. I'm an hour behind most of you now because we are too good for Daylights Savings time here so we don't change our clocks :) Love and miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment