Sunday, October 2, 2011

First trip with the American Society

So this weekend was a busy one. The end of the week turned out well and Friday I went out to dinner and then to bed early. Saturday was an all day trip to Suchitoto. A beautiful city in the north of the country and then Sunday was a day trip of kayaking on one of the estuaries down to the south beaches, so I was all over the country. :)

Saturday in Suchitoto was a trip with the American Society so it is organized through the embassy. We left around 8:30 from San Salvador and started in the town with a guided tour. We went in the church, wandered around the streets and stopped in some different art shops and old hotels. After our tour of the city, we went to a store that makes Indigo. The lady described the process of making it step-by-step. It was very interesting. From there, we went to lunch on a spot overlooking the lake. We had lunch and then went down to the lake for an hour long boat tour of the lake. It was relaxing and beautiful scenery. On the way back in, there was a big storm brewing up off to the distance that was getting closer and closer to us. There were big bolts of lightning coming down and we were out in the middle of this lake with a metal roof over us so we were a little scared but our guide didn't seem to be concerned so we continued on. After the boat trip, we headed back to the city and I eventually got home around 6:45. It was long day number 1 of the weekend.

The view on the boat in Suchitoto.


View from where we ate lunch.


The lady describing the indigo to us.


Here is the main church in Suchitoto.

On Sunday, we got up VERY early to go kayaking. Jose and I were in one kayak, Colleen and Gina in another and our friend Steve in another. It was a big group of about 15 kayaks. We paddled out for a few hours to an island and then hung out on the island for a few hours while the tides changed and then paddled back in to have some lunch. It was a great trip but Jose and I are not expert kayakers and were getting VERY frustrated because there were crazy currents pulling us all over the place and we couldn't stay straight. Then his paddle broke and we almost got pulled out to sea haha. We had to get towed in by one of the jet skis....it was a little embarrassing but essential. We would have been long gone!


Gina, Colleen, Steve, Me, and Jose

This week is off to a good start and on the downhill now. This weekend, no big plans but I'm sure I'll find something. Then only 3 days of school and I'm home. I'm super excited to come home but also a little stressed about missing 3 days of school. That means lots of planning and lots of things to prepare. I've only ever missed a half day...never even 1 full day! It will be so worth it though! Well hope everyone is doing well, miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment