These are all of the baby turtles that we released into the ocean.
The school offered a trip on Wednesday after school to go down to the beach and release baby turtles. So 5 other teachers and 4 high school students went down. They talked to us a little bit about the different species of turtles and what we would be doing and then we went out to the beach. There were sooo many turtles that we released but they told us that only 1 in 1,000 survive and mature into adulthood. How sad is that? It was a really cool experience though and something very different. The mama turtles come up on the beach and then there are certain safe areas that people collect the eggs and leave them until they are ready to hatch and go into the ocean. Otherwise, other animals and people would steal them.
All of the turtles are making their way.
Here's me cheering my turtle on.
First Bake Sale
So 2 of the 6 fifth grade classes had their bake sale well "snack" sale this week so students brought in different items to sell to the other 3rd,4th, and 5th grade classes. It was called a "snack" sale because they could bring in no baked items. The school is trying to provide healthier snacks, so we were given a list and students were assigned an item from that list. It was items such as fruit, granola bars, lemonade, fruit popsicles, vegetables, frozen yogurt, corn on the cob, mixed nuts....haha the kids were like "But Miss Marissa, really?" But the kids still had a great time and it was hilarious watching them try to sell their item to all of the kids, shouting things at them and trying to bargain. One kid brought in pupusas and set up a whole station with all of the sauces and everything that you put on them, plates, napkins, everything. He was great!
First soccer game
I finally got to play soccer. I went over to the embassy on Monday and played with a few of the marines, a ton of people from the embassy and some random salvadorians both young and old. There were people of all ages and all ability levels. I was a little worried that I would be a little rusty but I actually did alright. I was definitely sore the next few days because when I play, I can't just not try so I was going all out and I'm very much out of soccer shape. But it was a blast and I definitely want to play again soon. Just need to bring my cleats when I come back from christmas. Playing in tennis shoes was a little rough.
First classroom tepee
So we are learning about the Native Americans and were talking specifically about the Great Plains tribes. So I decided...hey, why not make a life-size (well, classroom size) tepee for my classroom. The kids made decorations to put on the outside and I just bought 4 poles and some brown fabric and my friend Diana helped me put it together last night. The kids LOVED it today and were all fighting over who got to do their work in the tepee. It's pretty funny what a few sticks and some fabric can do to motivate kids.
Overall, life is going well. This week was rough at points but overall went really well. Being my first year teaching, I've learned soooo much and it's been a roller coaster of emotions. This weekend is going to be very busy...happy hour and then going to see Harry Potter tonight. Tomorrow a full day yoga/surf day at the beacn and then Sunday off to a different beach, back in time to go to a concert that one of my student's is performing in. Oooof, thank goodness next week is a short week! I'll try to post again after the weekend. I'm home exactly 4 weeks from today, wow!!! Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment