So because the weather is still so warm here I had a hard time realizing that it was actually Thanksgiving. It was a great day, even though I was unable to be with my family. I woke up and just relaxed all day, hung out by the pool and was still adjusting to the idea that it was Thanksgiving and I was sitting by a pool. Later in the afternoon, one of the couples had a bunch of us over to celebrate so I had dinner #1. Then one of the guys in the complejo had invited me over so I went over there for dinner #2. I was bursting by the end of the night but it was delicious!! I'd say a successful first thanksgiving in El Salvador and definitely thought about all of the many things that I am thankful for....family, friends, experiences I will never forgot, food on the table, a house to live in, all of the things that I have....the list is endless.
First class trip to the Finca and first student in my house
So the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, all of the fifth grade classes walked all the way across campus to have lunch in the finca which is a little forested area up near the complejo. So we hiked all the way over and it was super hot so we were all sweating to death (rough, i know) but we ate and everything was going great and then one of my students says "Uhhhh Miss Marissa, I really have to go to the bathroom" and I said "Uhhhh, can you wait until we go back?" and that wasn't happening so it was either run over to my house which was super close or go all the way back to the school which was like a 5 minute walk so I said ok, let's run over to my house really fast. So that's what we did....she came into my house, met Sarka (she called her a small horse haha) went upstairs, used the bathroom and that was that. Definitely a first for me....
The girls in my class with the nina pinata at the Thanksgiving lunch.
First breakfast from the maid
So Friday morning I was going to the beach early in the morning and I got up and went for a run with a friend. I came back and Antonia,my maid, was here. She was cooking breakfast and said she thought I had still been sleeping because my door was closed and she was sorry that she hadn't been able to get my clothes out yet to start washing them but she was making me breakfast. I said....Antonia it's just fine and yes, I would love breakfast. So I showered quick and then had some lovely fried plantains, coffee, and beans for breakfast, it was great :) I also talked to her (because she usually comes when I'm at school) but she's going to start cooking for me so every Friday she will cook meals for me for the week, can't wait!!
After the lovely breakfast, I went to the beach for the night with a couple friends. It was soooo relaxing. We stayed in an all inclusive resort so all drinks and food were included. Meals were great and there was one waiter that loved serving us. His name was Luis and anytime we would come out to the pool he would run over to us and ask us how he could help us.
Drinking a coconut by the pool....delicious.
Emmy and I hanging out by our personal pool at the resort....no big deal.
First becoming a Salvadorian moment....at the salon
After the relaxing days at the beach, we decided we wanted to get our nails done so I called my friend Diana, whose family owns a salon here in the city and asked if we could go get our nails done. So we went over and got our fingers and toes painted and then they asked if we wanted anything else so they did our hair too. It makes me laugh because many Salvadorians go to the salon to get their hair done before they go out and I'm becoming one of them haha. Not sure what we are going to do tonight but just going to enjoy the last day of the vacation tomorrow before it's back to work on Monday. Only 2.5 weeks of school though until I come home and I'll be home in less than 3 weeks, CRAZY!
Wow I just reread this and I am living a ridiculous lifestyle right now haha i love it. I really do work sometimes too and get very stressed out and overwhelmed at times. I just choose to focus on all of the good things :)
You are living the life!!! I'm so freaking jealous...maybe I should move down there ;) Happy Thanksgiving!! Can't believe it is already Christmas time! Get ready for the cold weather when you get back!! haha
ReplyDelete