So I'm sitting here in my room, packing up my life and realizing that this first year is over. What happened? It feels like just yesterday that I was getting ready to come and telling everyone that I was going to teach in El Salvador. Then people responding in two ways...."That will be such a great experience" or "What? Why would you want to go there?" I was going to a world, a life, and people that I didn't know and had no idea what to expect. I arrived here 11 months ago, 11 months! with eyes wide open, ready to take on anything that came my way. As I was taking things off the walls of my classroom the other day and cleaning everything up, I was thinking....did i really just complete my first year teaching? I felt like I was just putting things up on the walls and wondering what my students would be like. Time goes by SO fast!
This year has definitely been one that I will never forget and I have created my own life here and found where I fit. My friends, my support system, my house, my routines....it's been an adjustment but a life that I have grown to love! I will go home for a bit but then will be back again the end of July. Next year is going to be so great. I will have already taught everything once and I feel like I learned soooo much this year both from making mistakes and things that went well. I loved my class but I'm sure that I will love my next class just as much. We are getting a lot of new technology next year too so it's going to be a whole different experience. We are all getting new computers, projectors in our classrooms, and a document camera. Which from what we had this year, is a HUGE improvement. I had an ancient computer this year and just an overhead.
Everyone has been asking...do you think you will stay longer? How was it? Will you be there more than just next year? What are you going to do? And my answer is always...I have no idea. I could see myself staying a third year, I could see myself leaving after my contract ends next year. I really have NO idea! Life here is great....sometimes I feel like it's a dream. I didn't have a car all of this year but I'm thinking I might buy one when I get back in the fall. I'm coming back early to do welcoming committee next year and welcome all of the new teachers, I am excited! It will be fun to be on the other side of things.
I get home tomorrow and then am leaving for Colorado on Sunday. I will be there for a week and then I will be home to see everyone and all of you that I have missed so much! Thank you for all of your support this year, positive thoughts and words of encouragement to get through all of the hard times. It has been an amazing year and I can't wait for the next :) 24 hours from now I will be in the US...just in Houston but in the US!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment