
The girls all ready to go before ziplining.
This last week and weekend have been busy and full of lots of FIRST things. On Wednesday night, I went with a few other teachers to the Faralitos festival in Ahuachapan which is about an hour and half outside the city. It was a big trip for a school night but it was fun. The city has a big ceremony and festival where people put up displays of lanterns to celebrate the birthday of the Virgin Mary. We walked around the town which felt kind of strange to be out on the streets at night but there were so many people around and its a big festival so everyone was celebrating and having a great time. One highlight was going to a sanitary bathroom that was "sanitary". We had to pay 25 cents to use it which really just gave us a few sheets of toilet paper. The bathrooms were disgusting and I would have rather gone on the street, ew ew ew! It was an interesting festival though and I'm glad I went.
Char, Gerry, and I at the Faralitos festival.
Friday a couple that has student at the school, had all of the American teachers over to their house for a Taco Party. It was quite the party complete with clown wigs, blinking red noses, and party hats that were randomly brought out midway through the party. Towards the end a mariachi band showed up and the drinking began. That's about when I left but the dad brought out his VERY expensive tequila and people were taking shot after shot. No thank you!
Andrea and I at the Taco Party.
The Mariachi Band.
Saturday morning, I went ziplining for the first time. Another parent invited the teachers to try out the new zipline that he owns just outside the city. It ended up being a parent of one of my students so she was there doing the zipline with us. It was super fun and something I would definitely like to do again. There were about 20 people that went and because they let us go try it out for free they only had a few guides with us so there was lots of waiting in between each line for everyone to cross. Overall, a great experience.
Coming in ziplining.
My student, Natalia, and I showing off our gloves (your brake) while ziplining.
Sunday I decided it would be a good idea to run a 12.km race (about 7.75 miles). A friend was talking about doing a 4km and that there was also a 12.5km so the group that runs on Saturday mornings decided why not go for it? It was down in El Centro which is the downtown and city center. I had never been before so I decided it might be fun. It actually went well, it was an up and back and then you got back to the cathedral and ran a few laps around there to finish the race. It's in a part of town that I would probably never go to otherwise because on a normal day, it's not the safest place, so I decided to take advantage of the highly secured race to check it out. A friend and I ran it in 1:09 which is not too bad.
I have just been LOVING having Antonia, the maid, come twice a week. I rarely ever have dirty clothes and her cooking is wonderful. On Tuesday she had written a note saying that if we wanted her to make a quiche for us she would and she could make mine without milk or cheese. Well, Holly bought the stuff she had listed she needed so I assumed she was making one just for Holly. Well we got home on Friday after school and she had made one for each of us. There were two pies and she wrote a note saying that she put an H and an M on them to distinguish which was which. SO cute and sweet:)
Our designated quiches that Antonia made for us last week.
No comments:
Post a Comment