Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Te de Regalos

So it's been a while but I don't have too much to report on. I had a long weekend last weekend because of the Salvadorean Independence Day and I was supposed to go to Parque Imposible (a beautiful national park here) for hiking and hanging out but got super sick so spent most of the long weekend in bed. It was some kind of stomach flu I think and knocked me out for a few days. By the end of the weekend, I was better and have been fine ever since.

This week was nothing out of the ordinary. My class is still GREAT and I just smile every day thinking about how wonderful they are. Although I loved my class last year, they had SO many issues and I didn't realize it until I had something to compare them to. I just got lucky this year because when talking with some of the other 5th grade teachers, they seem to be having the problems I had last year this year and I just smile and say "I know EXACTLY how you are feeling". This weekend is a busy one. Last night, I had my first Te de regalos which means Tea of Gifts. It's basically a Bridal Shower. Jose's brother is getting married in November so this was the tea for the soon to be sister-in-law. It was very similar to a shower in the states with a few Salvadorian twists. First, we played a few games...a word search and a word scramble. I won the word search so got a prize of a little key chain! Then we ate and after that opened presents. The host (Jose's mom) and also his sister helped but the host opens all of the presents for the bride except for the last piece of tape and then she just opens the last bit and shows it off. I thought that ruined all of the fun of opening the presents but oh well.

THEN....

So apparently its another thing that the 7th present that is opened is the person that is going to get married next. Oh heyyyy guess whose present was opened 7th? I wasn't even paying attention and was talking to one of his other sisters and then everyone started shouting my name and I thought they were just calling my attention because she was opening mine but then they all told me what it meant. It was quite awkward in front of all of the women of his family. Then his mom said..you don't have any plans do you? Hahaha I just laughed and said uhhhh no? and then she said....well, not yet at least. AYE, so awkward!

The rest of the weekend is pretty busy too. I'm running another race tomorrow. An 8K in the ecoparque here. It's almost straight uphill, awesome! Then tomorrow afternoon I'm going on a free city tour. The tour company is giving us this tour for free because of the lack of tour when we went to that Farralitos lantern festival. So we figured why not? We'll take it. So Char, Gerri, Colleen and I will go on that tomorrow afternoon. Then it's back to work again. Busy, busy. Time is flying and I'm home in just under 3 weeks for Nikki's wedding (wooooooo!) Hope everyone is doing well. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment