Monday, October 11, 2010

First emergency drill

So this weekend was great....Friday, 2 of the parents from the school invited all of the teachers from the Complejo over to their house for a sushi night. Their house was beautiful and they are such nice people. A whole group of us went over there and ate, hung out, and relaxed after the long week. I went to the beach on Saturday and hung out by the pool all day Sunday. I could definitely get used to that lifestyle. Teach all week and lay out all weekend...it's pretty great.

This week is off to a good start so far. I'm just enjoying teaching so much and things are going so smoothly. Today we had our first emergency drill at school. That was an interesting experience. So when the alarm starts going off, the kids are supposed to get under their desks while I count to 30. Then we all line up and walk outside to the field. Once we are there, they stand in 2 lines....a boy line and a girl line. They have to stay quiet while we take attendance and then we sit outside and wait...and wait....they call out random family names that have lots of kids in the school to make sure that everyone is there. It took 30 minutes, but at least it was nice out.

After school I had spanish class. Classes are going well...Monday,Wednesday at school and Tuesday, Thursday with my friend Diana who is trying to learn English, so we help each other out. I also got an email today that made me tear up a little bit. So every Monday I send out 5 positive emails because parents usually only get negative things. The parent's responses have been sooo positive. One of the mom's responded to me today and said that she had never received such a positive email and that her son has never been so motivated in school. He is so happy in my class and that their family feels so fortunate that he's in my class. It is moments like that that make me realize how much I love teaching.

Well the rest of this week is a normal week. No big plans for this weekend, probably more of the same. 1st quarter grades go in this week so I will be busy getting all of those entered. Next week I have a day full of parent teacher conferences and I'm actually pretty excited. Hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

  1. So why the time under the desks and then outside for the drill? Is this mostly for earthquakes? Glad to hear how much you are enjoying the class. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete