Saturday, October 2, 2010

First earthquake

So I have experienced LOTS of firsts in the last couple of days and I don't even know where to begin....

1. First earthquake....Thursday night I was just laying on my bed looking up something on my computer when all of a sudden I hear the things starting to shake and I'm like hmmm I wonder if this is an earthquake? Then it got a lot stronger and things started shaking harder. I decided it would probably be a good idea to go downstairs so I headed down where my roommate was in the living room but by then it had stopped. It wasn't a very big one and only a few things fell but it lasted about 15 seconds probably and was definitely the strongest earthquake I had ever felt and some of the other teachers that have been here 3 or 4 years said that it was the strongest they had felt in the time they have been here too.

2. First discussion with the principal on my observation....she was very impressed and had lots of good things to tell me about what she observed when she came into my class. She did however have a few suggestions of things to work on but they were all silly things like....a few students had their feet up on the bar of their desks, one student had a water bottle in the classroom, one needs a haircut and a couple boys were chatting a bit so she suggested that I move their desks haha. Overall though, it was great. She said 2 things that meant a lot to me. The first thing she said was that when you enter my classroom there is just a feeling of calmness. You can tell that all of the students feel comfortable and that I rarely ever have to raise my voice. That I am very calm, which then in turns allows the students to relax. She said that she thinks my strengths are time management and classroom management. She said that in the past, many of these students have had lots of discipline problems but they are so well behaved in my class and engaged in the learning. Another thing she said was that she knew when she hired me that I was going to do a great job. She said that a few people were concerned about hiring a first year teacher from the states and that she rarely EVER does that but with me she saw something great and knew she was making the right decision. I guess she will come in 3-4 more times throughout the year at different times throughout the day to observe different subjects and things so we'll see what happens.

3. First yoga class at a yoga studio. I went with a friend to my first yoga class after the retreat because I enjoyed it so much. Well, the class was all in spanish and I don't really know the names of the poses in English so that was interesting. I had to do a lot of looking around at the others to see what I was supposed to be doing haha, it was a great class though and I'm going to try to continue going at least once a week.

I'm definitely starting to get into a weekly routine here and the weeks are flying by. I can not believe that it is October already and I'm sure it will fly by, then November we have only 2 full weeks of school so that will fly and then it's December already. I was telling the kids yesterday that we only have 2 more weeks of first quarter and then we are a quarter of the way done with the school year. How crazy is that. I can't believe it. I love my class so much though, I spend more time with them in a day than I do anyone else haha. Well that is all for now. I went out last night and am hoping to just relax for the rest of the weekend. Miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. An earthquake?! I'm sure that was a weird feeling! How often do those happen down there?

    So great to hear that the principal loves you! :) That is such a good feeling to hear good things and to know that you were hired for all the right reasons! You are already such a successful teacher and have many more fun and eventful years of teaching to come! Love you <3

    ReplyDelete