So this week got a little intense very quickly. I had emailed a few parents last week about setting up a conference time because I had some concerns about their kids. Well then I got an email yesterday from the secretary saying that one mom was coming in today. Whoa ok great. So I had to quickly prepare for that and decide what I was going to say.
Well the mom came in and we talked about my concerns and what we could do to move forward and better help her son. So I asked how things are at home and she said that he is pretty much in control at home and that she gives him $1 everyday for doing the things that she asks him to do like pick up his things, etc. I wanted to say ARE YOU KIDDING ME? No wonder he acts the way that he does. He acts like he doesn't have to follow the same rules as the other students and now I see why. She basically told me that I have to praise her son like crazy in order for him to behave or do things that I ask. I was like ummmm ok I can try that but I'm not going to over do it either. We also have this other system that we are trying out with him so we'll see how that goes. Well that was in the morning and then after lunch...surprise! The principal comes in to do a surprise observation, so thats just awesome.
Sometimes I like that I am so easy going because I wasn't really nervous at all and was like well, ok here we go. She just plopped down in the back of the room and took notes but was in there for 45 MINUTES!! I had talked with other teachers and they said she usually stays for 10-20. Well either she was very concerned about something or was really enjoying my class. She got to watch us do a little spelling pretest, go over the answers and then talk about our class election. The kids gave their speeches and I think she may have stayed to hear some more of those. I am meeting with her on Friday morning to discuss what she thought.
Also, apparently El Salvador is now on red alert because of all of this CRAZY rain we have been having. Red alert means that all of the schools have to close because of the unsafe conditions. Well lovely Escuela Americana decided to be the only school to NOT cancel tomorrow so I again get to trudge all across campus in the pouring rain, awesome!! Well I think that is all for today, I'll write again soon!
wow, what a day! I'm sure you did great in front of the principal. It has been rainy here last week, but finally sunny again, however the area is still pretty flooded...just a rainy year!
ReplyDelete