Saturday, September 4, 2010

First "I love teaching moments"

This week at school went really well. The kids and I are in routines now and know what is expected at different times throughout the day. We had the first math test and most of them did really, really well. There were a few moments throughout the week too that were so rewarding and reminded me how much I love teaching.

1.On Wednesday, we had been talking about simple and complex sentences in the morning and practicing identifying conjunctions of complex sentences. Well later in the day, we were reading about the scientific method in the science book and one of the girls raised her hand and says “Miss Marissa. That is a complex sentence and the conjunction is and”. Haha It was so great and I loved how she was thinking about things we had learned earlier in the day.

2.We started reading Esperanza Rising as a class this week. For now, I have been reading it to them and having them follow along. There are points along the way that we stop and talk about important events, make predictions or talk about vocabulary words. Well there were 4 pages left in the chapter but we needed to go to music so I said “Ok, we are going to have to stop there for today” and the kids were like “Nooooooooo! Can we finish it when we get back?” haha they were so into it that they couldn’t wait to see what would happen next and wanted to finish the chapter. It was so cute and I love how engaged in this book they are

This weekend should be relaxing. I have some errands to run and other things to get organized for next week. No labor day off for me. My next day off is September 15th for Independence Day. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment