My roommate and her dog, a greyhound named Sarka, got in last week and we get along really well. She has been in El Salvador two years now so knows the area really well and lots of fun places and things to do. I've been hanging out with her and her boyfriend this week quite a bit. We went trail running in an eco park one day, went to the beach where I attempted surfing and climbed a volcano. Surfing was... well interesting...I attempted but it is definitely something that I will need to work on. The salt water is going to take some getting used to as well. Especially when you wipe out while surfing, getting a mouth/nose full of that is a little rough. The volcano trip was a great time. We hiked up Santa Ana and went almost to the top but you can't go quite all the way. It was a beautiful view. This is a picture in front of one of the other volcanoes in the area, it was gorgeous!!
I've been realizing this week too that this is the place for me right now. A lot of the other international teachers here are older than me but it is so nice to be around mature people who are interested in the same things that you are. We can talk about teaching, life, past experiences and just enjoy each other's company. I've been getting to know everyone and hanging out with so many different types of people.
Another realization that I had this week was how much of an impact I am going to have on these kids. I've talked to a few salvadorians and they have told me that teaching the students at this school is basically teaching the future leaders of this country. Teaching in general, you hope to make a lasting impact in the lives of your students but many of the business owners, politicians and future leaders of the country, come from this school. It's a lot to think about but something I feel very privileged to be a part of.
I have one more day of vacation and then staff meetings start Monday. I am definitely ready to get started and meet my students. I think it's going to be a great year :)
I am so happy for you Marissa! You are such a strong and courageous person to go out on your own and do this. You will do an outstanding job in the classroom - good luck! The kids will love you.
ReplyDelete