Monday, August 30, 2010

First Open House....check

I survived my first open house and it went soooo well. I was not nervous at all and was just thinking "well this is me, if they like me they like me, if not, im not going to change who I am to try and impress them". Pretty much my outlook on life :) We all started out in the cafeteria where the principal and director talked to everyone and introduced us to all of the parents. Then we went to our individual classrooms to set up any last minute things. The parents all came down 10 minutes later and came into our rooms. The spanish teacher came to my classroom first so he did his little 10 min speech and then I was on...We had to give the parents a bunch of information and the yearly curriculum plan but I figured the parents could read all of that on their own and didn't need me to read it to them so I just talked about myself and my philosophy on teaching and things specific to my classroom. The parents were all so nice and it was so funny to try and figure out which parents went with who before they introduced themselves because so many of them look just like their kids.

They all told me how excited they were that their children were in my class and many said that their children have told them how happy they are in my class. It made me feel really good. It was a long day but I really enjoyed it. This week is off to a good start. Today was fun and hopefully the rest of the week goes well. It's a nice breath of fresh air to have open house done.

This past weekend was nice too. I went over to Valeria's house for her birthday so was able to meet all of her friends and family. Everyone is super nice and it was fun to hang out with people my own age. Sunday night one of the other American teachers that lives outside the complejo invited me over for dinner so I went over to her house. She is so wonderful. She's probably in her late 20s but has been here for a few years and is married to a Salvadorian. She taught 5th grade last year but this year she is in charge of technology and reading. Anything I need she is always there for me and offering me support and advice. But overall, life is good!! I can't believe it's almost September already, crazy!

1 comment:

  1. It is crazy that it is September!! It is turning into fall here, but I'm sure it still is summer weather there!! Miss you. I love your outlook on life! Sounds like your career is off to a wonderful start :)

    ReplyDelete